The border fortress Altfinstermünz in the eponymous Finstermünzschlucht.
Altfinstermünz can be reached from various sides, a path leads from the Lower Engadine to the Upper Court, a second route led already in Roman times to Altfinstermünz, the Via Claudia Augusta.
From the 9th to the 11th century, Altfinstermünz was the court or mall for the Lower Engadine, Nauders and Pfunds regions. In 1078 Duke Welf left in the campaign against the bishops of Chur in the "Clusa" (Enge of Altfinstermünz) a crew back. In 1159, Altfinstermünz was mentioned for the first time in a document, as "Vinestana silva", which means "forest of Finstermünz". The word Finstermünz comes from the indogerm "mintsja" which translated means threatening towering rock. (Text: Club Finstermünz)