Parish Church of the Assumption - Fliess

churches and monasteries

Parish Church of the Assumption - Fliess

Also called Maasskirche.

For a long time, only the church tower spoke for an older architectural history of the 1300s first mentioned parish church. Extensive excavations inside the church during the recent restoration in 1991-93 have now revealed much older structures that can be seen in the lower church. Thus, the oldest traces in the period of the Bavarian settlement around 530-620 AD. date.

Reliable results on the shape of the church can only be found in the new building erected after a fire around 1200 in the form of a simple rectangle with a choir just closing. After a partial regotification in 1901-02 and only a makeshift repair of the heavily damaged by the fire on October 11, 1933 church, now shows the 1991-93 fundamentally restored church again in its most beautiful robe. The lower church serves the faithful as a memorial to the former Pastor Alois Simon Maass, who was known here as a model pastor and confessor, but also as a doctor and exorcist far beyond the community.

Commemorative plaques next to Maass are also reminiscent of two clergymen born in the parish: Otto Neururer, pastor of Götzens, who was tortured to death for his faith in the concentration camp, and Franz Flür, who was a priest and missionary in North Borneo Soldiers died. The parish church is always open during the day. In the course of museum tours, the lower church is also visited.
Read more
Parish Church of the Assumption - Fliess

Contact

Street / number:Dorf 149
Zip code:6521
Town:Fließ
Website:www.tirolwest.at

Online Booking / Request